|“||I've seen human nature firsthand, and I'm here to tell you that it doesn't get any better. It just gets worse.||„|
— Jonah to Emma
|“||I'm sure all your friends will be very happy to see you again.||„|
— Jonah to Emma
|“||Man does not control the laws of nature, and neither do you.||„|
— Jonah, commenting on Emma’s departure
|“||Madison, tell me, what exactly did Mommy sell you on? Some grand utopia? Man and monster living together in blissful harmony?||„|
— Jonah chides Madison
Jonah shares a close friendship with Asher Jonah. They often share drinks and share stories of each other's past with one another. After Asher's death, Jonah is visibly depressed and it appears as if whatever connection to humanity Jonah has left in him died with Ash.
Jonah was previously a colonel in the British Army and a special agent in the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) from 1990 to 2004 with tours in Kosovo, Bosnia. However, after living through many tours of duty in the service and the subsequent death of his daughter, Lindy, he became disenchanted by mankind so he defected and went rogue, obsessed with restoring the natural order. Since then, Jonah had been connected to a team of armed mercenary units working behind a mask of sociopolitical deceit, financed by trafficking samples of Titan DNA. In 2005, Monarch became aware of Jonah when he and a team of accomplice mercenaries were caught attempting to trespass onto a subterranean MUTO dig site in Bosnia, after which Jonah was jailed in a Pakistani prison. Sometime later, he presumably escaped or was broken out of confinement. Labeled a Class-1 eco-terror threat, his current whereabouts remain unknown.
|“||Hello, Doctor Russell. That was a warning shot. I suggest you come along with me now.||„|
— Jonah to Emma
|“||I seem to remember you telling me that the world always belonged to them. Well, maybe it's time we give it back.||„|
— Jonah to Emma
Wasting no time, Jonah and his men travel to Antarctica with their new hostages. They arrive at the Monarch containment facility holding the Titan, "Monster Zero", and proceed to execute all Monarch personnel stationed there. After securing the area, Jonah, Emma, and Madison marvel at the sight of Monster Zero, who is frozen solid under hundreds of feet of ice. Jonah orders his soldiers to begin drilling holes and placing charges to help free the Titan. They work for several hours before Monarch begins sending more troops to take back the facility. Jonah's men hold off the Monarch operatives long enough for the charges to be placed. During a standoff with Dr. Mark Russell, Emma's ex-husband and Madison's father, Emma detonates the charges herself. Jonah, Emma, and Madison quickly escape through an elevator, leaving Mark to be crushed by falling ice and debris. They reboard their Osprey, and once at a reasonable distance, Jonah demands that Emma wake up Monster Zero. Using the ORCA, which gives off sonar pulses only understood by Titans, Emma wakes up the three-headed beast. The trio watches as Monster Zero terrorizes the trapped Monarch personnel below, with Madison having to be restrained by Jonah and Emma after becoming upset for leaving her father for dead.
Jonah takes Emma and Madison to a secret Monarch bunker occupied by his organization just outside of Boston, Massachusetts. From there, after Emma gives her manifesto to Monarch via video feed, Jonah requests her to wake up another Titan, Rodan, all the way in Mexico. The death and destruction created by Monster Zero's awakening cause Madison to heavily question Jonah and Emma's beliefs. She tries to talk Emma out of awaking Rodan, only for a frustrated Jonah to chastise Emma for getting Madison involved by telling her a sugarcoated version of the facts and Madison for believing them. Jonah reminds Emma that she came to him for assistance with her plan and they both want to save the world, which will be destroyed if they don't stick to the plan. Using the ORCA, Emma blasts sonar pulses from speakers located at Rodan's containment site, which wake him. Rodan proceeds to destroy the nearby town, Isla de Mara, by simply flying over it. Then he wipes out an entire squadron of military jets, before being defeated in a dogfight with Monster Zero, who was flying in the area after escaping Godzilla in Antarctica. Godzilla suddenly appears and tackles Monster Zero into the ocean, ripping off one of his heads before being nearly killed by the Oxygen Destroyer, a prototype bomb that destroys all oxygen in its blast radius. Monster Zero survives the blast and regenerates his severed head. Then he proceeds to wake up all the Titans around the planet from their dormancy, with Jonah and Emma watching video feeds on 10 monitors of the Titans escaping as people run away in fear one by one as the feeds cut to static. Jonah then tells Emma that he thought they were going to release the other Titans one at a time. Emma then tells that she isn't doing this. Jonah then sees the monitor showing Ghidorah roaring ontop of Rodan's volcano with him bowing, he simply replies with, "Long live the king.", and walks away with his other soldiers.
It's later revealed that Monster Zero is an alien known as Ghidorah seeking to terraform the planet to make a suitable habitat for himself. This doesn't bother Jonah as he seems fine with the idea of fewer humans being around. When Emma tries to reason with him that Monster Zero should be stopped, Jonah expresses his belief that humans are the most destructive species on the planet, and since the Titans pre-date humanity, the planet is truly theirs and should be given back to them. Seeing the death and destruction all around her, Madison sneaks out of the bunker, taking the ORCA with her to Fenway Park in the hopes of stopping Monster Zero. Jonah later notices the ORCA's sonar pulses being broadcast from Fenway Park and questions Emma. When Emma realizes that Madison has run away, she prepares to go and find her before being confronted by Jonah, who questions her loyalty to their cause and demands her to stay inside the bunker. When Emma pulls a gun on him, an unfazed Jonah simply smirks and allows his men to let Emma go, declaring they have already achieved their goal and no longer need her.
Jonah appears in a post-credit scene, walking alongside a fisherman who complains that the waters in the surrounding area are devoid of fish due to the Oxygen Destroyer's effects. The fisherman brings Jonah to a large warehouse, where there are other fishermen present and reveals one of Monster Zero's severed heads. Jonah then purchases the head from the fishermen.
- Alan Jonah's quote "Long live the king", is a nod to Charles Dance's role as Tywin Lannister in Game of Thrones.
- The novelization takes it further, where he has a soldier under him who is so large, Madison calls him "The Mountain", a reference to Tywin Lannister's chief enforcer Gregor Clegane, who is known as "The Mountain that Rides" or simply "The Mountain".
- Alan Jonah is the second human villain in the MonsterVerse, with the first being Preston Packard.
- Coincidentally, both characters have military backgrounds.
- His name is inverted as "Jonah Alan" on the Monarch timeline.
- The film's novelization goes deeper into Jonah's character as it's revealed he had a daughter named Lindy who was kidnapped on her way home from school, killed, and left to rot in a storm drain for six days before her body was found while he was away fighting in a war. It is also shown Alan had a father-son relationship with Asher and his humanity was extinguished when Asher is killed by Diane Foster.
- The book also portrays Jonah as a more evil character as Emma calls him "a fanatic with no conscience and little if no empathy" to whom no deed is too dirty to achieve his ends. He threatens Madison after she tells him off for patronizing her. Later, when Emma tries to take the ORCA to stop Ghidorah, Jonah holds her at gunpoint and tells Sergeant Travis to slit Madison's throat if Emma goes near the ORCA again. Additionally, some of Jonah's dialogue has religious undertones to further highlight his fanaticism. He's flattered by how Emma "came around to the one true church" when she turned to him after she "saw the light". Later, while holding Emma at gunpoint, Jonah calls humanity a disease and says that there being fewer humans in the world is fine by him. Then he declares that once the dust settles, they will all "live like kings".
- Three of Jonah's mercenaries are named to pay homage to celebrated special make-up effects artists in the film industry:
- Lieutenant Bottin - Rob Bottin
- Sergeant Baker - Rick Baker
- Corporal Winston - Stan Winston
List of appearances
- Godzilla: Aftershock (First appearance)
|Godzilla: King of the Monsters|