The Gabara (ガバラ?) of the GabaraAniGoji continuity is a kaiju created by Toho that first appeared in Godzilla: Monster Apocalypse, a prequel novelization for the 2017 film, Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters.
Measuring only 10 meters in height, Gabara was smaller by monster standards.
Gabara had a savage and sadistic personality, and was described as to enjoy slaughtering wildlife indiscriminately.
Gabara was rampaging in the Amazon area. In 2012, a Japanese Brazilian boy named Ichiō (Alberto Ichiō Santos) wandered into the area, met with Mira, a girl from a native tribe, and aided her in defeating the monster. Mira shot it in the eye with an arrow laced with thermite. The thermite explosion caused by this wounded Gabara emitted electricity and made the monster fall down into a river, where carnivorous fish and alligators attacked and preyed on the creature, killing it, to which Ichiō likened it to a bully being retaliated against.
Monsters (possibly all) in this continuity was said to be able to absorb electromagnetic waves, and thus able to make surprise attacks on urban areas.
Like its predecessor, this Gabara was able to emit electricity, and used this to stun alligators, and slaughter paralyzed victims.
- Ichiō was wounded and was treated by Mira who gave him a "white silk-like cloth" and "golden scales that heal wounds".
- Latin America was relatively safe from monsters aside from non-threatening ones like Gabara, and it was speculated that a specific species of monsters made the area its territory.
- This Gabara incarnation is very unique in many aspects; it was much smaller than its predecessor, it killed wildlife purposely rather than preying on them naturally, and it was killed by wildlife in the end.
- Ichiō, son of a rich real estate broker in Brazil, was kidnapped by those had grudges against his father in 2012, but the aircraft he was on crashed over the Amazon, and Ichiō was the only survivor. Later, Ichiō became a comprehensive historian and has been teaching history to children on space ships.
- This incarnation of Gabara symbolizes a bully being retaliated against, which is referencing what its predecessor symbolized.
- This is the first Gabara to be confirmed to actually exist and be deceased, as the Gabara of the Showa era was a fictional, dream-borne kaiju.
List of appearances
- Godzilla: Monster Apocalypse (First appearance)