After a volcano erupts on the popular island resort Santa Marta, a bizarre new ecosystem is created from the irradiated lava. While Randy and Nick fought mutant carnivorous plants, Monique and Craven find a beehive of giant mutant bees. The whole team is then attacked by the giant bees while Zilla Junior battles the queen bee in the heart of the volcano. Zilla Junior was able to destroy the hive, and apparently kill the queen bee.
However, the queen reappeared when an alien race tried to invade the Earth, during the Monster Wars arc. She was sent to aid El Gusano Gigante in invading Moscow. However, it was killed when the aliens lost control of the mutans.
- While the mutant bees were only able to launch one stinger at a time, the Queen Bee could launch multiple stingers at a very quick rate, much like a machine gun and the stinger launch ability of GMK Mothra.
- Unlike normal bees, the queen bee does not die after it has used its stinger, allowing it to sting opponents multiple times.
- The way the ecosystem is created in the mutant bees' first appearance is similar to the 1957 movie The Black Scorpion.
- The Giant Bees may be based on the Queen Bitch, a kaiju that Zilla Jr. would have fought in the unmade sequel to the 1998 film.
- Dr. Craven claims that he is allergic "to everything", including bee stings.