Godzilla: King of the Monsters - The Official Movie Novelization is a novel based on the 2019 Legendary Pictures film, Godzilla: King of the Monsters. The book was written by Greg Keyes and was published by Titan Books. The novelization was released on May 28, 2019.
Godzilla: King of the Monsters follows the heroic efforts of the cryptozoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and its ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient super-species--thought to be mere myths--rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity's very existence hanging in the balance.
- Dr. Mark Russell
- Dr. Emma Russell
- Madison Russell
- Dr. Rick Stanton
- Dr. Ishirō Serizawa
- Alan Jonah
- Dr. Sam Coleman
- Chief Warrant Officer Jackson Barnes
- Admiral William Stenz
- Dr. Ilene Chen
- Dr. Ling Chen
- Senator Williams
- Staff Sergeant Anthony Martinez
- Dr. Tim Mancini
- First Lieutenant Lauren Griffin
- Colonel Diane Foster
- Dr. Houston Brooks
- MUTO 3
- Margygr (corpse)
- MUTO 1 (corpse)
- MUTO 2 (corpse)
- MUTO Prime (corpse)
- Leviathan (mentioned)
- Typhon (mentioned)
- Shinomura (mentioned)
Differences from the film
Very few changes were made in the novel, barring a select few scenes and greater use of some of the lesser-used Titans. Namely:
- Mokele-Mbembe was featured much more heavily, having several chapters set at his containment site in Sudan.
- A new Titan, Margygr, was seen at Castle Bravo.
- The Titans Kraken and Behemoth were shown escaping their containment centers, and the escapes of Scylla and Methuselah were shown more in-depth; some Monarch agents rebel and release captive Titans after watching Emma Russell's message.
- Madison Russell is shown to have a more spiritual connection with Mothra.
- Additional scenes showing Alan Jonah as a more malevolent character with him threatening Madison and ordering one of his men to cut her throat if Emma goes near the ORCA without his permission.
- Andrew Russell's death and the impact it had on the Russell family are elaborated on.
- Jonah has a father-son relationship with Asher, and details of Jonah's past are revealed, including how he and Asher met and Jonah's daughter Lindy.
- On Skull Island, Kong hears Ghidorah's call but ignores it until it causes the Skullcrawlers to stir.
- Characters mention the events of Godzilla: Awakening and Godzilla: Aftershock.
- When she steals the ORCA, Madison subdues one of Jonah's men with a stun gun.
- It's revealed that Vivienne Graham has nieces and nephews, and Ishiro Serizawa has a son named Ren.
- ↑ Godzilla: King of the Monsters - The Official Movie Novelization. Amazon. Retrieved June 2, 2019
- ↑ (Webster, Chris) February 7, 2019. Exclusive Cover Reveals: “The Art of Godzilla: King of Monsters” and Official Novelization. BloodyDisgusting. Retrieved February 7, 2019