|“||That's Margygr. She was dead when we found her in the Arctic. Some other Titan messed her up pretty good.||„|
Margygr, also dubbed Titanus Margygr, is a giant reptilian daikaiju created by Legendary Pictures that appears in Godzilla: King of the Monsters - The Official Movie Novelization, as a corpse in the possession of Monarch.
"Margygr" is a species of mermaid in Greenlandic tradition. Titanus Margygr is believed to have lived in the areas these mermaids typically inhabited, near the Arctic, but Margygr has been dead for quite some time, too long to have been alive at the time Margygr were believed to have been sighted; therefore Monarch presumably named Titanus Margygr because of her aquatic nature and flat face, qualities shared by Margygr mermaids.
Judging by remains, Margygr was an aquatic reptilian Titan (similar to Godzilla), about the size of a whale. She had a flat elongated skull with various grooves and bone-like growths resembling something of a crest. Her body was long and covered in scales. Her nostrils are above her human-like eyes, like some aquatic mammals. Her mouth is filled with fangs that jut outwards.
In death, Margygr's body appears severely burnt and mangled, with her entire face seemingly torn off, revealing her skull, and a jagged rift that runs from her neck to her abdomen.
At some point long before the events of Godzilla: King of the Monsters - The Official Movie Novelization, Margygr was killed near the Arctic by an unknown Titan. Later, Monarch discovers her frozen corpse and takes her to their headquarters with the Male MUTO, the Female MUTO, and MUTO Prime to experiment on her. Sam Coleman later takes Mark Russell to see her remains.
Margygr's anatomy allowed her to thrive in water.
Margygr's scales are armored, providing her with some protection. However, this was not enough to stop another Titan from fatally burning her.
- It is unknown which Titan killed Margygr, and even Monarch are unaware. It was likely either a hitherto-unknown Titan or one of the confirmed aquatic or amphibious Titans (such as Godzilla, Scylla, Leviathan, Tiamat, or Na Kika), as Margygr died in the sea, but it is also mentioned that Margygr has scorch marks on her scales; this makes Godzilla himself a likely candidate, as only he would have been capable of causing this damage out of the aquatic Titans.
- Another candidate is Rodan, as the novel mentions him to be capable of killing sea creatures, and he is also one of the few Titans capable of causing scorch marks.
- Ghidorah is also a possibility, due to his gravity beams capable of causing scorch marks, as well as his powerful and murderous nature. He is also known to have fought battles in icy surroundings, such as Antarctica.
- Concept art exists for Margygr, implying that she was intended to appear (albeit as a corpse) in Godzilla: King of the Monsters.
- Margygr's head design looks very similar to Orga's head design, but whether this is what she looked like before or after she died is unknown.
List of appearances
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters - The Official Movie Novelization (First appearance) (Corpse)
- Keyes, Greg. ''Godzilla: King of the Monsters - The Official Movie Novelization. Titan Books. p. 61. May 28, 2019. ISBN: 178909092X.
- Concept art of Margygr