|“||Well now, let's enjoy the main event: the last chapter in the Godzilla saga!||„|
Monster X (モンスターエックス?), also known as Keizer Ghidorah Monsutā Ekkusu (カイザーギドラ?), is a skeletal Kaizā GidoraGhidorah kaiju created by Toho that first appeared in the 2004 Godzilla film, Godzilla: Final Wars.
Keizer Ghidorah's name comes from the German word "kaiser," meaning emperor, and "Ghidorah," coming from the immediate name of King Ghidorah's species.
Monster X is a bipedal creature with an exoskeleton-like armored skin. He possesses two small half-skulls on his shoulders and a long black forked tail. Monster X has red eyes, a skeletal face, and long spikes on the top of his head.
Keizer Ghidorah incorporates elements of both King Ghidorah and Desghidorah in his appearance. Like Desghidorah, Keizer Ghidorah is quadrupedal, and like King Ghidorah he has golden skin. Keizer Ghidorah has much smaller wings than the other Ghidorahs, and lacks defined scales on his skin, instead having smooth gold skin with bluish streaks and spikes erupting from multiple spots on his body. Keizer Ghidorah's middle neck is much longer than the other two, and each of his heads has a different arrangement of horns and spikes. Keizer Ghidorah also possesses two long, whip-like tails.
Monster X's roar appears to have been adapted from big cat growls and roars. As Keizer Ghidorah, his roar sounds like maniacal cackling, similar to King Ghidorah's characteristic cackling roar. Keizer Ghidorah's wailing cries and growls were possibly adapted from pig squeals, calls from camels, and the cries of baby jaguars.
Unlike most of the Xiliens' other mind-controlled monsters, Monster X displays true malice in his battle with Godzilla, fighting viciously and relentlessly. He seems to take pleasure in causing Godzilla pain, such as when he twists Godzilla's wrists and suspends him into the air and when he holds Godzilla still for Gigan to slice him with his chainsaws.
Monster X's maliciousness and aggressiveness is further demonstrated when he continues the battle even after Gigan and the Xiliens are defeated and any mind-control the Xiliens had over him is severed. After transforming into Keizer Ghidorah, Monster X blasts and beats Godzilla mercilessly across Tokyo, throwing him around with his gravity beams and kicking the weakened Godzilla in the head.
Monster X was summoned by the Xiliens from the Gorath asteroid, which has unknown origins. Keizer Ghidorah is a true form of Monster X. It is unknown if the Xiliens themselves created Monster X or if he was simply discovered by them.
In the comic series Godzilla: Ongoing, Monster X's origins are equally cryptic. According to the Shobijin, Monster X is a creature who is "both of this world, and not of this world." Later comics establish that Monster X is likely of the same species as King Ghidorah, who is established to be a space-faring alien beast in Godzilla: Rulers of Earth.
Monster X was summoned by X through the Gorath asteroid. Godzilla destroyed Gorath with his atomic breath in the skies over Tokyo, annihilating the city. Monster X then floated down behind Godzilla and attacked him. Monster X overpowered Godzilla in hand-to-hand combat until Godzilla retaliated, resulting in a stalemate between the two monsters. Eventually, the modified Gigan arrived to assist Monster X. Monster X held Godzilla still from behind while Gigan sliced his chest with his chainsaw hands.
Mothra arrived and knocked Monster X and Gigan down, freeing Godzilla. Mothra and Gigan then fought and destroyed each other, leaving only Monster X and Godzilla. The monsters resumed their battle, with Godzilla gaining the upper hand and pinning Monster X to the ground, then proceeding to punch him rapidly. Godzilla tried to blast Monster X in the face with his atomic breath, but Monster X pushed his head away, causing the beam to strike the Xilien Mothership instead.
After the Mothership self-destructed and the Xiliens were destroyed, Monster X and Godzilla engaged in a beam-lock, causing both monsters to be blown back. After this, Monster X transformed into Keizer Ghidorah.
Keizer GhidorahKeizer Ghidorah (カイザーギドラ?) is the true form of Monster X, which debuted in Kaizaa GidoraGodzilla: Final Wars. After his transformation, Keizer Ghidorah engaged in a beam lock with Godzilla, his gravity beams easily overpowering Godzilla's atomic breath. Keizer Ghidorah then repeatedly attacked the outmatched Godzilla with his gravity beams, tossing him across the ruins of Tokyo like a ragdoll.
Eventually, Keizer Ghidorah approached the fallen Godzilla and kicked him repeatedly in the head before lifting him into the air and draining his energy through his bite. The crew of the Gotengo saw Godzilla losing his energy to Keizer Ghidorah, and Shinichi Ozaki used the ship's Maser Cannon to transfer some of his Keizer energy into Godzilla. Godzilla was immediately re-energized and released a shockwave of energy, breaking him free from Keizer Ghidorah's grip.
Keizer Ghidorah tried to retaliate with his gravity beams, but Godzilla blasted off his middle head with his atomic breath and caused one of Keizer Ghidorah's gravity beams to sever another head. Godzilla then tossed the maimed Keizer Ghidorah over his shoulder by the beast's remaining neck. Finally, Godzilla threw Keizer Ghidorah into the air and blasted him with his red spiral ray, pushing Keizer Ghidorah into space and causing him to explode in the upper atmosphere.
Monster X is also the only monster Godzilla fought in Godzilla: Final Wars that survived getting blasted by Godzilla's atomic breath at point-blank in the face, actually appearing to shrug the attack off, as well as the only one able to bring Godzilla to his knees and make him roar out in pain with just one attack.
Monster X was seen levitating in the background as he was descending to the ground to do battle with Godzilla. In the comics, Keizer Ghidorah also has the ability to fly, which is never demonstrated in the film, (likely due to the limitations of the suit).
Destroyed Thunder Gravitational Beams
Monster X's main tactic is to fire yellow electric beams in short bursts from his eyes. These beams are fired from both eyes on Monster X's head and a single eye on each of the partial skull-like structures on his shoulders. the beams themselves were even strong enough to make Godzilla reel back in pain, and roar in agony.
Similarily to King Ghidorah's gravity beams, Keizer Ghidorah is able to fire Antigravity beams from his mouths. These beams are stronger than Godzilla's thermonuclear breath.
Monster X is a formidable match against Godzilla physically, and this coupled with his powerful attacks were able to nearly overwhelm Godzilla. Keizer Ghidorah is briefly seen slamming his 2 front feet on Godzilla as he was unconscious, after his initial onslaught.
Keizer Ghidorah can also guide their paths and pick up and throw objects with them.
Keizer Ghidorah can drain energy through his bite. This ability is so potent that if it weren't for Shinichi Ozaki's intervention, Godzilla would have possibly died.
|“|| This extraterrestrial monster was created to battle Godzilla. It first emerged from a giant meteorite known as "Gorath" that landed in Tokyo. Monster X is thought to be the ultimate weapon of the Xilien invaders, who approached mankind in a spirit of friendship.|
A biped with two slim legs, it attacks with greater power and speed than Godzilla while boasting such durability as to comfortably withstand the impact of a meteorite collision large enough to leave a giant crater. The gravity beam shot from the red eyes on its three heads is equal in power to Godzilla's atomic breath. Upon being defeated, it undergoes a metamorphosis into Keizer Ghidorah.
This swift monster perfectly complements the furious, no-holds-barred action of "Godzilla: Final Wars" (2004).
— Monster X Kaiju Guide bio
|“|| The mutated form of the space meteor monster Monster X that emerged from the Gorath asteroid. After the Xiliens were defeated, it molted its exoskeleton, stretched its three heads, grew wings, and transformed into a powerful quadrupedal monster. Not only does it boast overwhelming combat abilities, but it also has the abilty to erect a barrier and defend against enemy attacks. It can also bite an adversary with its three heads to absorb its energy.|
Keizer Ghidorah, the last monster to appear in the Japanese Godzilla series, is Godzilla's strongest rival monster. While the pre-mutation Monster X version was noted for its sense of speed, Keizer Ghidorah has a figure more massive even than Godzilla. It engaged Godzilla in an intense final hand-to-hand showdown. Its appearance was kept a secret until the release date, resulting in a delightful surprise for audiences.
— Keizer Ghidorah Kaiju Guide bio
Monster X and Keizer Ghidorah appeared within the mobile title Godzilla: Kaiju Collection.
Monster X appears in the IDW comic Godzilla: Ongoing alongside SpaceGodzilla, Gigan and Hedorah. He first appears in issue 8 where he attacks New York before fighting Mothra. After his fight, he manages to dispatch her before Boxer, Harrison and Asuka Hikari arrive in Kiryu along with Kumonga.
After dispatching Kumonga, Monster X engages in a brief fight with Kiryu before SpaceGodzilla and Godzilla show up. In the battle that follows, Monster X transmogrifies into Keizer Ghidorah where he starts to gain the upper hand over the King of the Monsters.
However, Rodan soon arrives to assist Godzilla, managing to decapitate one of Keizer Ghidorah's heads by creating a sonic boom from his wings. Eventually with Rodan's help, Godzilla is able to overcome and kill Keizer Ghidorah.
- The name "Monster X" is also used to refer to Guilala and Jiger.
- Monster X was briefly considered for Godzilla: Unleashed, but according to Simon Strange, he was "not interesting enough," and his transformation into Keizer Ghidorah would have been too complex.
- Shunsuke Fujita wanted to include Monster X in the 2014 Godzilla video game, but couldn't because of time constraints.
- Keizer Ghidorah is the third tallest live-action Godzilla series monster, behind the Heisei King Ghidorah and Mecha-King Ghidorah, as well as the MonsterVerse King Ghidorah.
- Monster X's transformation into Keizer Ghidorah was kept secret by Toho prior to the release of Godzilla: Final Wars, in order to surprise fans. To further keep Keizer Ghidorah a secret, Toho trademarked it as "Monster X II" rather than under its true name.
- The villain Blight from Justice League Dark heavily resembles Monster X.
- He shares similarities to the following monsters:
- Bagan: Both are in a way crosses between Godzilla and King Ghidorah (Monster X has a humanoid appearence similar to Godzilla but has two tails like King Ghidorah and Bagan has Godzilla and King Ghidorah's DNA), were commanded by aliens, are the final enemy monsters Godzilla faces in Godzilla: Final Wars and Super Godzilla respectively, are the tallest enemy monsters in both Final Wars and Super Godzilla, have horns and were extremely powerful to the point where Godzilla had to achieve a certain power to defeat them (Godzilla required Keizer energy to kill Monster X in his Keizer Ghidorah form and needed to become Super Godzilla to kill Bagan).
- Destoroyah: Both have sadistic personalities, have scary appearances, possess colossal final forms, have horns, are the final enemy monsters that Godzilla faces in the Heisei and Millennium eras respectively and required Godzilla to have aid to defeat them (Godzilla needed Keizer energy to defeat Monster X and help from G-Force to defeat Destoroyah).
- SpaceGodzilla: Both have sadistic personalities, their respective Godzilla movies came out in the year '4 (Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla came out in December 10, 1994 and Godzilla: Final Wars came out on November 27, 2004), have forms that allow them to fly (SpaceGodzilla's flying form and Monster X's Keizer Ghidorah form), have red eyes and were destroyed by Godzilla's Red Spiral Ray.
- Hedorah: Both possess flying and giant final forms, have red eyes, are alien Kaiju, were killed by Godzilla respectively in Final Wars, are 120 meters (Although in the case of Monster X, he is only 120 meters in base; he is 140 meters as Keizer Ghidorah) and Godzilla required aid from humanity to defeat them.
List of appearances
- Godzilla: Final Wars (First appearance)