- 1 Name
- 2 Design
- 3 Personality
- 4 History
- 5 Abilities
- 5.1 Larva
- 5.2 Imago
- 5.3 Rainbow Mothra
- 5.4 Aqua Mothra
- 5.5 Light Speed Mothra
- 5.6 Armor Mothra
- 6 Video games
- 7 Trivia
- 8 List of appearances
- 9 References
In the films, Mothra Leo is simply referred to as "Mothra." Official Japanese publications usually refer to him as "New Mothra" or "Exceled Mothra." The name "Mothra Leo" (モスラレオ?) comes from a song from the soundtrack for Rebirth of Mothra, which plays when Leo creates his cocoon. English-speaking fans began using this name to refer to Leo, and official English releases of the soundtrack used variations of this name, such as "Mothraleo" and "Mothra Reo." Each of Mothra Leo's forms he takes on after his larva and imago forms have their own names, although "Aqua Mothra" is the only one that is individually trademarked. Mosura Reo
Mothra Leo takes on many different forms and appearances over the course of the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy. In his larval form, Leo looks very similar to Mothra's larval form from Godzilla vs. Mothra, however he is lighter in color. After transforming into his imago form, Leo resembles his mother's imago form, but has several distinguishing features. His wings are somewhat more triangular and have different designs and color schemes. His abdomen is more rounded and less defined than Mothra's. Leo also has green eyes, three beads on his forehead, and feather-like antennae, resembling those of a male moth. After transforming into Rainbow Mothra in Rebirth of Mothra II, Leo's wings change from orange and green in color to all of the colors of the rainbow. As Aqua Mothra, Leo's appearance is more streamlined, and he lacks fur. Leo's wings are replaced with four fins, and he also gains fins on his tail.
In Rebirth of Mothra III, Rainbow Mothra's design changes. He now has a slightly longer body of 25 meters where he was 24 meters in length previously, a less bulky body, thinner legs, and backward-facing antennae. Leo's wings are a combination of blue, orange, black and white rather than all of the colors of the rainbow, and his eyes are blue rather than green. His form Light Speed Mothra looks almost identical to Aqua Mothra, but is blurry due to its quick movement. As Armor Mothra, Leo possesses a silvery armored shell around his body, with sharp jagged wings with different patterns. In his final form, Eternal Mothra, he looks very similar to Armor Mothra, only without the armored shell and with white fur all over his body.
Mothra Leo's roars consist primarily of altered Mothra roars, which have been modified to sound deeper and more masculine. As Armor Mothra, Leo's roar is very mechanical-sounding, sounding almost like a drill.
Leo differs from Mothra as he is commonly labelled as a male. Plus, unlike Mothra who is usually portrayed as being concerned more for the plights of her homeland and people, Leo takes on a more active role as a protector of the Earth, as well as taking on a Gamera-like affection for children.
Rebirth of Mothra trilogy
In the Rebirth of Mothra universe, Leo and Mothra were the last remaining members of a highly advanced species of giant moths created as guardians to the Elias, an ancient civilization of small yet powerful humanoids far older than humanity.
Leo first appeared as an egg laid by an aged and weakened Mothra in 1996. He hatched prematurely during a battle between his mother and a monster called Desghidorah and, despite being hopelessly outmatched in his larval form, attacked his mother's aggressor. After a long battle, the two managed to escape, though by that point, Mothra had been badly wounded, and she collapsed into the sea. Despite his best attempts to help her, Leo could do nothing as he watched his mother sink into the depths. Leo then retreated to a remote island where he cocooned himself against a 10,000 year old tree.
After some time, Leo emerged as a swarm of multicolored butterflies which merged into one giant insect. Leo then flew to Hokkaido to do battle with Desghidorah, and arrived in a flurry of laser and energy beams. The demonic dragon could not stand against the power of the new Mothra and was soon defeated. With the help of the Seal of Elias, Leo imprisoned the beast once again within its ancient tomb. Leo then went on to replenish the land destroyed by Desghidorah, releasing a powder that sped up the growth of Hokkaido's flora. With the forests and fields returned to their original beauty, Leo returned to Infant island.
Mothra Leo was called upon again when an ancient pollution-eating monster called Dagahra began infesting the ocean with toxic parasites called Barems. Leo attacked Dagahra and seemed to have the upper hand, until the battle was taken underwater. Unable to combat Dagahra in his element, Leo was overwhelmed by a swarm of Barem and awaited his opponents' killing blow. However, with the assistance of the Elias, Mothra Leo was replenished by the water spirit Ghogo and was transformed into a new form, Rainbow Mothra (レインボーモスラ?). Suffused with the water spirit's ancient magic, Rainbow Mothra re-entered the fray, relentlessly assaulting Dagahra. Yet, when the toxic one retreated below the waves, Rainbow Mothra followed suit and dove under the water, transforming himself into his new aqua form, Aqua Mothra Reinbō Mosura (アクアモスラ?), and finishing off Dagahra. With his foe defeated, Rainbow Mothra then flew off into the horizon and thus, the world is once again safe. Akua Mosura
Rainbow Mothra was awakened again to fight King Ghidorah when he was eating humans. The two fought, but Rainbow Mothra was quickly defeated. Rainbow Mothra was transformed into Light Speed Mothra (光速モスラ?) and went back in time to kill King Ghidorah when he was weaker. He went back to the Cretaceous period, where he fought Cretaceous King Ghidorah. He defeated Cretaceous Ghidorah, but his tail was buried in the ground. Cretaceous Ghidorah regrew from the tail, and arrived in the present only a day later. Leo attacked King Ghidorah as Armor Mothra Kōsoku Mosura (鎧モスラ?), and killed him. Armor Mothra transformed into Eternal Mothra Yoroi Mosura (エターナルモスラ?) and flew away in peace. Etānaru Mosura
In this television series, Mothra Leo is one of the island's residents. Like Rebirth of Mothra, Leo starts off as a larva before metamorphosing into an imago after the death of his mother.
Fake Reflection (フェイク・リフレクション)
If need be, Mothra Leo has the ability to change his colors, becoming virtually invisible via camouflage.
Petit Railgun (プチ・レールガン)
Mothra Leo can fire a highly explosive beam of green from his chest.
Excel Strings (エクセル・ストリングス)
As a larva, Mothra Leo sprays his opponents with a stream of silk launched from his mouth as a ranged attack to entrap or disorient an enemy. Additionally, his spray unleashed multicolored electrical aftershock.
- Cross Heat Laser (クロスヒート・レーザー): Mothra Leo can fire three, blue-colored, explosive beams of energy from the three beads on his forehead.
- Lightning Harricane (ライトニング・ハリケーン): Mothra Leo unleashes which is jade bolts of lightning from his wings.
- Sparkling Pileload (スパークリング・パイルロード): Mothra Leo can fire a highly explosive beam of green energy from his chest which can be also released as a series of cascading shafts of powerful blue energy that can split the earth as bolts flicker across his wings.
- Illusion Mirage (イリュージョン・ミラージュ)/ Supreme Defencer (シュプリーム・ディフェンサー)/ Multi-Halation Flash (マルチハレーション・ラッシュ): If necessary, Mothra Leo is able to use and and inwhich Mothra breaks apart into thousands of smaller 30.5cm Mothras, which can attack opponents with blankets of explosions.
- Rolling Shine Allow (ローリング・シャイン・アロー): Mothra Leo can perform an by flying straight up and spinning to release several jade rings from his body.
- Excel Dash (エクセル・ダッシュ)/ Excel Flash Dash (エクセル・フラッシュ・ダッシュ): Mothra Leo can perform an enhanced melee attack by charging himself with energy and flying at mach 85 for up to 65 seconds.
- Shine Strike Buster (シャイン・ストライク・バスター): Mothra Leo is able to perform an attack by raining down powder in a circle, and then from the center of the circle, a giant beam of blistering emerald energy will burst forth from the sky.
In addition to being able to fly at the speed of mach 15.5, as an adult, his wings can (and generally do) create gales which tear apart buildings and send other kaiju flying. His great bulk of a body is commonly used to his advantage in battle to slam into opponents (both in larva and adult form), and his surprising levels of strength can help him to drag and even lift monsters.
Mothra Leo is able to release green powder from his wings which can reflect energy attacks as well as weaken and cause pain to his opponent.
By flying over badly damaged and burnt areas of forest, Mothra Leo is able to speed the growing process of plants and return life to vegetation.
- Cross Heat Laser: Rainbow (クロスヒートレーザー・レインボー): Rainbow Mothra can fire three, multicolored, explosive beams of energy from the three beads on his forehead.
- Lightning Harricane (ライトニング・ハリケーン): Rainbow Mothra unleashes which is jade bolts of lightning from his wings.
- Illusion Mirage (イリュージョン・ミラージュ)/ Supreme Defencer (シュプリーム・ディフェンサー)/ Multi-Halation Flash (マルチハレーション・ラッシュ): If necessary, Rainbow Mothra is able to break apart into thousands of smaller 30.5cm Mothras, which can attack opponents with blankets of explosions.
- Sparkling Pileload: Rainbow (スパークリング・パイルロード・レインボー): Rainbow Mothra fires a highly explosive beam of blue energy from his chest or as a emits a Sparkling Pileload.
- Rainbow Buster (レインボーバスター): Rainbow Mothra can fire a beam pulser. He can also fire Mothra can fire twin, explosive blasts of multi-colored energy from his wings.
- Aurora Power (オーロラパワー): Via creating gold energy rings and dropping them onto opponents, Rainbow Mothra can encase them in a levitation field which allows him to transport anything he desires. It is a type of telekinesis.
In addition to being able to fly at the speed of mach 15.5, as an adult, his wings can (and generally do) create gales which tear apart buildings and send other kaiju flying. His great bulk of a body is commonly used to his advantage in battle to slam into opponents (both in larva and adult form), and his surprising levels of strength can help him to drag and even lift monsters, such as Cretaceous King Ghidorah.
Rainbow Mothra can create an invisible force field around his body that is able to deflect any enemy energy beams.
Crystal Flare (クリスタル・フレアー)
Rainbow Mothra is able to release rainbow powder from his wings which can reflect energy attacks as well as weaken and cause pain to his opponent.
Rainbow Mothra can transform into Aqua Mothra and then Lightspeed Mothra. Should both form be used, he can revert back to Rainbow Mothra.
As in his name, Aqua Mothra is capable of swimming, reaching speeds of 200 knots.
- Cross Heat Laser: Aqua (クロスヒート・レーザー・アクア): Aqua Mothra can fire three, explosive, laser-like beams of green energy in rapid succession from the beads on his forehead.
- X Thunder Beam (エックス・サンダービーム): Aqua Mothra emits a X-shaped energy blasts from his entire body. They are very powerful and usually blue, though there is a more powerful orange variant as well.
- Crescent Dash Beam: Aqua Mothra can fire v-shaped energy blasts from his antennae.
- Illusion Mirage: Aqua (イリュージョン・ミラージュ・アクア): Aqua Mothra emits an Illusion Mirage.
Aqua Mothra enables flight at speeds of Mach 15.5.
Aqua Mothra can create an invisible force field around his body that is able to deflect any enemy energy beams.
Aqua Mothra can transform into either Rainbow Mothra or Light Speed Mothra.
Light Speed Mothra
Light Speed Mothra can fly at a speed of 186,000 miles per second.
When in flight, Light Speed Mothra is able to travel through time.
Light Speed Mothra can change back into Aqua Mothra and back into Rainbow Mothra.
Hence his name, Armor Mothra's entire body has a thick, protective armor that protects him even from the strongest energy-based attacks. With this body, Armor Mothra was able to effortlessly endure King Ghidorah's gravity beams without any sufficient injury or fatigue.
- Armour Wing Cutter (鎧・翼カッター): Armor Mothra's wings are powerful melee weapons to easily cut off King Ghidorah's wings.
- Armour Cross Heat Laser (鎧・クロスヒートレーザー): Armor Mothra can launch three, concentrated, powerful, explosive Armor Cross Heat Laser beams of blue energy from the beads on his forehead, which are strong enough to penetrate King Ghidorah's barrier.
- Excel Dash Buster (エクセル・ダッシュ・バスター): Armor Mothra emits an Excel Dash Buster, or Transcending Fate, which allows him to pass through foes in an illuminant speed, cause the enemy to slowly crystallize and then explode.
In addition to being able to fly at the speed of mach 15.5, Armor Mothra's wings can (and generally do) create gales which tear apart buildings and send other kaiju flying. His great bulk of a body is commonly used to his advantage in battle to slam into opponents and his surprising levels of strength can help him to ram into other monsters and push them for a long period, such as Grand King Ghidorah. Armor Mothra also uses razor sharp wings to cut through objects and other monsters alike.
Armor Mothra can transform into Eternal Mothra
- Godzilla: Trading Battle (Larva, Regular Imago, Aqua)
- Monster Strike (Armor)
- Godzilla: Kaiju Collection (Aqua, Armor, Eternal)
- Mothra Leo has his own theme song, which he shares with Mothra.
- While Mothra's priestesses were the Shobijin, Leo's aides are called the Elias.
- Mothra Leo possesses considerably more numerous abilities compared to his mother as well as all his other counterparts of the Showa, Heisei, and Millennium series.
- In the English dubs for the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy, Leo's gender was changed from film to film. However, Mothra Leo is generally considered to be male, while Mothra herself is female.
- While his mother had short, club-tipped antennae, Mothra Leo has larger, feathery-looking ones. This is similar to how tha antennae of male and female moths differ in real life (thus debunking the misconceptions regarding Mothra Leo's gender.)
List of appearances
- Godzilla: Trading Battle (Larva, Regular Imago, Aqua)
- Monster Strike (Armor)
- Godzilla: Kaiju Collection (Aqua, Armor, Eternal)
This is a list of references for Mothra Leo. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: