|Toho reboot series|
July 29, 2016
November 9, 2018
Like the Millennium series, it follows an anthology format, beginning with the standalone 2016 film, Shin Godzilla, and branching off into the canonically unrelated Godzilla anime trilogy, which began releasing in 2017.
With no Japanese films past Godzilla: The Planet Eater set for release, the Toho reboot series came to an end in 2018; at four films, it is the shortest series in the franchise.
Toho has plans for a tentatively dubbed "World of Godzilla", set to begin production following 2021, which will be a cinematic universe combining the Godzilla character with many other Toho properties.
- Shin Godzilla (July 29, 2016)
- Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters (November 17, 2017)
- Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle (May 18, 2018)
- Godzilla: The Planet Eater (November 9, 2018)
- Giant Octopus
- Shin Godzilla's release marks the first time since the the 1954 film that Godzilla's truly been the lone kaiju featured within the film's plot at the start of their respective series. 1984's The Return of Godzilla featured the Shockirus, 1999's Godzilla 2000: Millennium featured Orga, and the recent 2014 film had Godzilla fighting the MUTO.
|Eras and series of the Godzilla franchise|